What Are Binaural Beats
For many people the term binaural beats is relatively new and unknown. However the fact is that binaural beats have been around for a very long time (over 70 years). They have been used by many but are really just starting to gain the popularity that they deserve.
Understanding what binaural beats are as well as how they work and what they do can be a little confusing.
Wikipedia describes binaural beats as:
“Binaural beats or binaural tones are auditory processing artifacts, or apparent sounds, the perception of which arises in the brain independent of physical stimuli. This effect was discovered in 1839 by Heinrich Wilhelm Dove.”
I personally found that explanation to be slightly confusing so I did some more research. Hopefully the below information will help everyone to understand exactly what binaural beats are, how they work and the amazing effects they can have on us.
Understanding Binaural Beats
Put very simply binaural beats are specially generated sounds that are created in order to alter your brainwaves. By altering your brainwave frequencies you are able to influence your mind into experiencing altered states of consciousness. Which altered mind state you achieve will depend on the exact frequency of the binaural beats.
How does this work?
This works by broadcasting two different frequencies in each of your ears. Your brain will then automatically create a third frequency which will be the difference between the two presented.
- For Example: Say you wanted to tune your brain to a 8 Hz frequency. If you played a 200 Hz tone in your right ear and 208 Hz tone in your left ear, your brain will automatically compensate for the difference between the two and create a third tone (binaural beat) of exactly 8 Hz. Your brain frequency will then either lower or raise to that frequency and allow you to experience the benefits that come along with being tuned into an 8 Hz frequency. It is actually that simple.
- Note: The two frequency tones must be below 1,500 herz for the beating to be heard. Also the difference between the two frequencies has to be below 30 herz for you to feel any effect. If the frequencies are too high the two tones will be heard seperately but no third beat will be perceived by your brain.
If you are wondering why we don’t just present the brain with a tone of 8 Hz in the first place to achieve the altered mind state it is because your ears can usually only hear between 20 and 20,000 Hz. A frequency of 8 Hz would not even register. That is why you have to trick the brain into hearing the lower frequency. You do this by presenting the two separate frequencies and allowing your brain to create the third binaural beat for you.
Well Known Frequencies and the Mind States they Produce
- Over 40 Hz – These are Gamma waves that are typically associated with higher mental activity, problem solving, perception, fear and consciousness.
- 13 – 40 Hz – These are Beta waves that are typically associated with active concentration as well as active or anxious thinking, arousal and cognition.
- 7 – 13 Hz – These are Alpha waves that are usually associated with relaxation and drowsiness.
- 4 – 7 Hz – These are Theta waves that are associated with dreams, REM sleep and deep meditation.
- Less than 4 Hz – These are Delta waves that are associated with loss of body awareness and deep dreamless sleep.
Go to our recommended binaural beats to find brainwave audios that can benefit your mental, emotional, spiritual and even physical well being.
Are Binaural Beats Safe?
Yes binaural beats are 100% safe. They are not addictive and they can be used as often as one would like. With the beneficial results one can achieve from listening to binaural beat recordings they are likely one of the safest methods of self-development available. Please note however that they should not be used by anyone who suffers from epilepsy.
How can Binaural Beats Benefit You?
The health benefits that can be achieved through listening to brainwave entrainment audios are numerous.
Below are some of the common benefits of using binaural beats and the kind of altered mind states that can be achieved.
- Help with addictions
- Lucid dreaming
- Increased happiness
- Lower stress
- Better sleep
- Pain relief
- Astral projection
- Deep meditation
- Anxiety Aid
- Past life regression
- Remote viewing
- Weight loss
- Improved memory
- Increase in IQ
- and much more…
How to Use Binaural Beats
Binaural beats will usually either come as an MP3 download or already recorded on a CD. Whether you listen to them straight from your computer, on an ipod, MP3 player or in a CD player it is really important that you plug in with headphones.
Binaural beat recordings will typically have a narrow sound wave. They are created through great technology but they are not perfect. By using headphones you will help your brain to only perceive the pure tone that it is supposed to in order to reach the desired effects.
I do know of people who listen to their binaural beats while performing activities around their house (i.e. such as cleaning, working on the computer, etc.). They can be effective that way but I have found myself that I get the best results if I am either sitting comfortably or laying down with no other distractions around me. There is nothing else special that needs to be done, just sit, relax and tune-in.
Important: Please do not listen to your binaural beats while operating machinery or doing any type of activity where falling asleep could be dangerous.
Binaural beats are nothing new and they are certainly not considered to be new age or supernatural. There is nothing magical about them… They are in fact completely scientific and backed by a huge amount of scientific research.
It is a very interesting concept to be able to directly influence your brainwaves and therefore your state of mind. How amazing would it be to:
- be happier
- have less stress
- have deep and sound sleeps
- and achieve all sorts of altered states of consciousness without the use of little pills or heavy drugs
All of these benefits have been achieved by individual people who use binaural beats from all over the world including by many professional athletes, business people and regular folks such as myself.
More Advanced Technology is Available…
I would like to mention that there is newer and more advanced technology available now as well. Some companies have begun using monaural beats and isochronic tones for brainwave entrainment. They are even more effective than binaural beats and work in much less time with far less effort from the brain.
Please read our article Understanding Monaural Beats and Isochronic Tones to understand more about these forms of brainwave entrainment and how they can benefit you.
Where to Find Quality Binaural Beats
Our favorite source for high quality and affordable binaural beats MP3’s and CD’s is The Unexplainable Store.
Explore their binaural beats for yourself and experience the true benefits that come from working directly with your brainwave frequencies and mind power.